Sunday, February 28, 2010

Ho-Ho Cake

This post is sure to make you laugh, cringe, probably think twice about my cooking skills, but MOST IMPORTANTLY it will make you want to go bake a Ho-Ho Cake!!

This all started out as a simple conversation that went something like this......
Liesl: So do you and the boy want to come over and grill out?
Erin: Sure, what should I bring an appetizer or dessert?
Liesl: Hmmm...let me run it past the hubs and see what he thinks. (I only asked this because he ALWAYS is making suggestions as to what he wants me to make!)

later on...
Liesl: So how about I do dessert and you bring the appetizer.
Erin: Sounds good to me!


So you see this started out great, but then there was the conversation with the hubs........

Liesl: Erin asked what she should bring an appetizer or dessert...do you care?
The hubs: Well, actually how about you do dessert. There is this dessert that my mom used to make me and I would love for you to try it out.
Liesl: Oh, great...not again.


This happens to me a lot! The hubs likes to suggest these recipes he used to have growing up. Trust me I've tried to recreate A LOT of "child-hood" memories! I end up calling his grandma or his mom and trying to piece together what the hubs is talking about. His mom was able to dig out her recipe for this so called "Ho-Ho Cake", but she usually makes it for a large crowd of people, so we had to figure out what a third of the recipe would be. So to make a long story longer (lol), she told me it was to be baked in a 9x13 glass dish, but I mentioned how it would be fun to try it jelly roll style (you know like an actual Ho-Ho)...HAHAHAHAHAHAHA THAT'S FUNNY! Well, it didn't quite go as planned, and it sure made for some good laughs, but trust me you Ho-Ho Cake you...WE ARE NOT FINISHED!!


So despite it's resemblance to what my dog used to leave behind in the back yard, the fact that it didn't really roll - it cracked, and the shear disappointment in my face as I tried to spread the frosting on top and it just wasn't happening --- THIS CAKE WAS A-M-A-Z-I-N-G! One of the best I have ever had! I really am not a big fan of chocolate, but hands down, one of the best desserts! Please, go ahead and laugh, but really do try it out. The cake is so moist and the filling reminded me dead-on of a Hostess Ho-Ho. I was so embarassed to serve it to my friends, but they were good sports about it and can attest to how wonderful it tasted!

Ho-Ho Cake
(from the kitchen of my mother-in-law)
For the cake:
2 cups sugar
2 cups flour
1 cup water
1/2 cup butter
1/4 cup cocoa
2 beaten eggs
1/2 cup buttermilk
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon vanilla
Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
Combine sugar and flour in a large bowl. Bring water, butter and cocoa to a boil, stirring occasionally. Pour cocoa mixture over flour mixture and mix. Combine eggs, buttermilk, baking soda and vanilla and mix together with the flour cocoa mixture. Pour into a greased 15 x 10-inch jelly-roll pan lined with parchment paper.
Bake for about 15-20 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean. Cool the cake for 5 minutes.
Spread a kitchen towel out and sprinkle it with powdered sugar. Loosen and turn cake onto prepared towel. Carefully peel off paper. Roll up cake and towel together, starting with narrow end. Cool completely on wire rack.
For cream filling:
2/3 cup milk
2 1/2 T cornstarch
1/3 cup butter
1/3 cup shortening
1/4 teaspoon salt
2/3 cup sugar
3/4 teaspoon vanilla
In a small saucepan over medium heat, combine milk and cornstarch. Cook until thick, stirring occasionally. Cool completely.
Cream together butter, shortening, salt, sugar and vanilla and add to milk mixture. Mix until smooth.
Carefully unroll cake. Spread cream filling mixture over cake. Re-roll cake.
For chocolate Frosting:
1/2 cup butter
1/4 cup cocoa
1/4 cup milk
1 lb. powdered sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla
In a medium saucepan over medium heat, combine butter, cocoa and milk. Bring to a boil. Add powdered sugar and vanilla to cocoa mixture and mix until smooth. Spread on top of cake. ENJOY!!
If at first you don't succeed, try, try again! ;o)

4 comments:

  1. LOL!! This is hilarious! But I admit it was SO DELICIOUS! I ate 1 and 2/3 slices that night, and another slice the next night! YUM OOOH HO HO!

    Thanks for having us over, and thanks again for the Ho Ho Cake!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like you had a great time! :-) I love trying out old family recipes!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think it looks GOOD! I want some!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm sure it had a wonderful taste. I love your sense of humor, honesty and great pictures. As I often tell myself, "So, now you know." Have a great day.

    ReplyDelete

I really enjoy reading all your comments, thanks for stopping by!