Friday, February 5, 2010

Buffalo Chicken Meatloaf

My friend Erin, from Erin's Food Files, emailed a recipe for Buffalo Chicken Meatloaf several weeks ago. I was so excited when I got the email, because this meal is right up my alley. It seems like towards the end of last year I had definitely gotten off track with eating healthy and working out as much as I used to, so this meal was just perfect! I am always looking for new ideas for a healthy recipe, but often am sceptical that they may lack flavor...this dish definitely had flavor. In fact, it was so delicious that I can't wait to make it again! I decided last minute to try whipping up some Blue Cheese Mashed Potatoes (which you will see tomorrow) with some leftover potatoes I had to go along side the meatloaf. They were a great addition, not as healthy as the meatloaf, but hey they were delicious with every bite!
Buffalo Chicken Meatloaf
(as seen on Erin's Food Files, recipe from Biggest Loser Cookbook)
Olive oil spray
2/3 cup old fashioned oats
1/2 cup fat free milk
1/3 cup hot sauce, plus more to sprinkle on top
1 lb extra-lean ground chicken breast
1/4 cup finely chopped celery1/4 cup shredded carrot
1/4 cup finely chopped sweet onion
2 large egg whites, lightly beaten
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup crumbled reduced fat blue cheese

Preheat oven to 350F.
Lightly mist a 9” x 5” x 3” nonstick loaf pan with olive oil spray.

Combine oats and milk in a medium size mixing bowl. Mix well. Let stand for 3 minutes or until oats are softened. Stir in hot sauce until well mixed. Add chicken, celery, carrots, onion, egg whites, and salt. With fork, mix ingredients well. Add blue cheese and gently mix.

Transfer mixture to pan and spread so that top is flat. Sprinkle on a couple shakes of hot sauce and spread evenly. Bake 35 to 40 mins or until chicken is no longer pink. Cut into 8 slices. Makes 4 servings.
Stay tuned for tomorrow...Blue Cheese Mashed Potatoes!

4 comments:

  1. Blue Cheese Mashed Potatoes sound like the perfect addition! Glad you liked the meatloaf!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh... I want this right now. I've been cooped up in conference lectures ALL DAY today, and I just got out to discover that it's rainy and gross. Comfort food would be sooo perfect tonight. Hmm... who could I swindle into making it for me?

    ReplyDelete
  3. whoa whoa! buffalo! chicken! meatloaf!?!? OMG drool... ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I told my b/f about this yesterday, and he said "well why haven't you made it yet??" Hahahaha ;)

    ReplyDelete

I really enjoy reading all your comments, thanks for stopping by!